Can my brother represent me in court regrading a non-moving traffic violation?

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my brother represent me in court regrading a non-moving traffic violation?

I have a court arraignment, however, the court date is on a day when I need to be at my new job in another state. I satisfied obtaining the items for which the original citation was given (car tags and insurance, but I cannot change my work start date and need to know if I may have family represent me in lieu of my physical presence.

Asked on September 7, 2011 under General Practice, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If your brother is a lawyer, then yes, he can represent you; otherwise, no.

To represent another person, even family, in court, is to practice law; but only lawyers may practice law. Your brother would simply have no legal right to speak on your behalf, and so if he shows and you do not, it would be like no one showed up and you lost be default. Non-lawyers may only represent themselves in court, no one else. If you need someone to represent you, you need an attorney, though it's possible that you may still need to be there for the actual court date. What a lawyer could do is appear for you and try to get an adjournment to another date; or try to settle the matter ahead of time, such as negotating the violation you'll plea to and arranging for you to pay the fine. You should contact an attorney immediately.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption