Can my boyfriend’s ex-wife ask for an increase in child support because we are having a new baby?

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my boyfriend’s ex-wife ask for an increase in child support because we are having a new baby?

Child with the ex is 3 years old and he has been paying support since the divorce.

Asked on September 18, 2011 under Family Law, Massachusetts


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The ex wife can always ask for an increase in child support, especially if the child is now reaching school age (say pre-school) and needs additional funds for school expenses, medical and dental insurance or activities if the child is involved in activities. It doesn't matter what the catalyst is to ask for the increase in expenses but the court will only grant it if the increase is warranted. The ex wife will simply ask the court to amend the order but the burden will be on her to show why her child requires an increase; if anything, your boyfriend can show the court that with the addition of a new child an increase is not feasible. Before you move forward with anything, keep in mind that this is your boyfriend's issue only; the court will not hear from you per se. Also keep in mind this is all about the children. Make sure the two kids (yours and his) are not harmed in this process because ultimately he is this child's father and legally more obligated to her than to anyone else right now.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption