If I’m pregnant with my boyfriend’s baby, can he go to jail because I’m 16 and he’s 20?

UPDATED: Aug 21, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 21, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’m pregnant with my boyfriend’s baby, can he go to jail because I’m 16 and he’s 20?

In TX it’s illegal if your not 17 to date somebody 3 years older than you. I’m pregnant with his baby and we been together for couple of months already. I’m scared that when I go to the hospital to deliver that they will arrest him.

Asked on August 21, 2011 Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Okay calm yourself down.  You have to worry about your health and the health of your baby.  You already know that the fact that he is 20 and you are 16 is a problem on many, many levels.  Besides the statute that is particular to Texas (the 3 year thingy) the fact that you are a minor and he is an adult is a big problem.  If he is arrested and convicted for any type of sexual offense he could be branded a sex offender and have to register as such.  Then he may not be able to be around you and the baby.  Please get help here from someone whom you trust that is an adult as well.  Good luck to you all.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption