Can my bank account be seized if a creditor has been awarded a judgement against me?

UPDATED: Feb 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my bank account be seized if a creditor has been awarded a judgement against me?

I got a letter in the mail saying my assets will be levied if I don’t call this collection office and they have been awarded judgment on a credit card I defaulted on over 5 years ago. I don’t know what to do and I’m scared my only account will be seized. This is where my wages go into and how I survive from check to check.

Asked on February 20, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, South Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country, if there is a judgment against a particular person for a dollar amount, the judgment creditor is entitled to levy upon the judgment debtor's assets such as the bank account that you have written about to satisfy the judgment.

I recommend that you first consult with an attorney who practices consumer debt law to guide you through the process. Assuming you have a judgment against you, you might be able to enter into a written pay down agreement where you can make monthly payments and not have to worry about your bank account being levied upon or wages garnished.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption