Can my auto loan company force me to put in and pay for a GPS system in my car?

UPDATED: Dec 19, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 19, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my auto loan company force me to put in and pay for a GPS system in my car?

I have an auto loan and the loan has gone into default. When I tried to make payment they told me in order for them to take any more payments from me, that I had to pay the full balance. They also said that I have to pay for a GPS system to avoid future issues. They are stating because they had repossession set but they have not been able to find the car and all my contact information were not numbers they could get through to.

Asked on December 19, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Yes, they can require you to do this:

1) You stated that you defaulted; once you default, they have the right to reposses the car and sue you for the remaining balance due on the loan (anything not paid off by repossessing and reselling the car);

2) Since they would have the right to repossess the car, they have the right to set conditions on NOT repossessing it--that is, they have the right to require you pay for and add a GPS system as a condition of them not going ahead with the repossesion. If you refuse, they can continue with the repossession, etc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption