Can my assists be taken if my spouse gets convictions?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my assists be taken if my spouse gets convictions?

I moved out Oct 2016, he got in trouble with his mothers
estate and also his brother had a major stroke and hes in
trouble for selling firearms illegally, forging signatures on a
title to make it his own, and his mothers nursing home is
suing him. Is it necessary for me to divorce him to protect
my assets from criminal court findings/fines/restitution?

Asked on February 23, 2018 under Family Law, New Hampshire


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for the situation.  It may depend on the type of asset and how the asset is legally held.  If you own property as husband and wife then a creditor can get a judgment against you and yes, can file a lien against the property if it has your husband's name on it.  I would go and seek help here about asset protection.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption