Can my apartment complex sue me for damages and breaking my lease 30 days early?

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 9, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can my apartment complex sue me for damages and breaking my lease 30 days early?

I bought a house and gave them 60 days notice. Now they want 20 days of rent plus carpet and paint damage money. They have my $300 Deposit. Should I be worried about getting sued?

Asked on June 9, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

Your lease is a contract between you and your landlord.  You need to read your lease.  Does it allow for you vacate early upon certain conditions or with a certain amount of notice?  If not, and you have nothing in writing from your landlord,  you could be responsible for the rent.  As for the damages, did you have to do an inspection upon leaving? The security is for damage to the apartment. Normal wear and tear is not necessarily damage.  Ask them for a detailed list in writing and an estimate for repair.  You may want  to see if you can have the repairs done for less money.  Call the manager of the complex and see what you can negotiate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption