Can an international student be granted the right to work in US throughout a professional football team?

UPDATED: Feb 22, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 22, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can an international student be granted the right to work in US throughout a professional football team?

I’m an international student attending a community college. Lately I’ve been playing with a football team that is interested in recruiting me as a professional player. The problem is I don’t have a SSN therefore I’m not allowed to work in the US. Could this team sponsor me in order to have a working permit? Is it possible to play for them as a volunteer as it would also give me a good portfolio in case I would like to play in college?

Asked on February 22, 2012 under Immigration Law, Nebraska


Harun Kazmi / Kazmi and Sakata Attorneys at Law

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Hello. You may qualify as an Alien with Extraordinary Ability in Athletics/Sports. You would need to prove your high level of play and ability based on your history with other professional teams, championships, etc.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption