Can inhertience be dispensed without contacting beneficaries?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can inhertience be dispensed without contacting beneficaries?

My father filed the death certificate and last will and testament on 8/30/2017 when my grandfather passed in 9/2/2016. He lied about not having a funeral. He told my sister that she was removed from the will and I don’t believe this to be true. My sister and I didn’t receive what was left to us from my grandmothers will, and now my dad is acting as if we don’t exist. I believe he just filed the last order of publication and yet I have not been contacted. Should I write the judge? contact my dads attorney? file a petition? A cavaent? We are talking millions of dollars here and the fact that our grandparents promised to provide for my sister and I because our dad was absent in our lives.

Asked on October 7, 2017 under Estate Planning, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Please run- do not wal - to an attorney and get help.  You need to file paperwork in the Probate Court that A) you exist B) you got no notice and C) you are objecting to the Probate.
Now, thankfully the WIll was filed - which is a Public Record and you can review it at any time.  Otherwise, if he filed as if your Grandfather died intestate (without a Will) then he as his child would receive all and you nothing.  Get help.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption