Can I write my own quit claim deed to get out of a time share?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I write my own quit claim deed to get out of a time share?

We bought the timeshare years ago; it is fully paid for and the maintenance fees

are current. We just don’t want it anymore and we are tired of the huge fees. I’ve

read that management will have to sign and will charge us to deed it back to them. I don’t really want to throw away any more money with them. What can I do? Will I need a lawyer to make it happen?

Asked on September 12, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Utah


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, you can't just quitclaim it back to management and avoid your obligations or fees unless management voluntarily agrees to it: you can't quitclaim to anyone unless they agree to accept the property from you (you can't force anyone, even the management company, to accept property if they don't want to). So while you can of cousrse ask if the will take the property back and let you write the deed, they are very unlikely to do this. Much more likely, they will want their money--either continuing fees, or some fee or charge for accepting it back.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption