Can I withhold my rent?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I withhold my rent?

I recently rented an apartment. When I viewed the unit, I noticed that there was some water on the bathroom floor but generally liked everything else about the area and building, so I decided to go ahead and rent. I wrote on the contention box in the lease that I would rent the apartment if this issue was addressed. Flash forward to my move in date, I find a sponge underneath some pipes that is full of water in the bathroom. I throw away the sponge, not thinking twice. Hours later the bathroom floor is covered in water. The building engineer came to look at the leak and said it had been an issue for some time, however they had held off on fixing the problem due to the scope and cost of the job. I had to push my move in date back 2 days as I was told this would be fixed in this timeframe and it was not. I have been reading city code and think that I am within my tenant rights to withhold my rent until this problem is addressed as they are violating an ordinance. There is stagnant water on the floor and the pipes are leaking and not functioning properly. Also the water is leaking from the radiator so it is extremely hot where the leak is. I am a happy to pay my rent but it is a 2-way street. I can’t even use the bathroom at times because there is too much water on the floor. So, am I within my rights to withhold payment until this is properly fixed since they have known about the issue for over a


Asked on February 28, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You may be able to withhold your rent because you are describing a condition that can affect habitability: stagnant water and persistent leaks, and especially leaks from/near radiators, can pose health hazards by contributing to mold, etc. growth. (That's why a leak near a radiator can be more problematic: hot and wet conditions are ideal for mold.)
Be aware that while as set forth above, the potential health risks create an arguable case for withholding rent, this is not as strong or straightforward a case as if, say, there was no heat or hot water, which clearly and undeniably affect habitability. A court could potentially look at this situation and conclude that while the leak is undesirable, it does not rise to the level of impairing safe inhabitation and therefore require you to pay the rent. Therefore, if you are going to withhold rent, do NOT spend it--keep in the bank (so to speak) and available in case the landlord seeks to evict you for unpaid rent and a court sides with him, requiring you to pay the withheld rent to avoid eviction.
Don't put too much stock in code or ordinance violations: code violations which do not affect habitability do not give rise to a right to withhold rent (though they can lead to the landlord being fined by the municipality).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption