Can I withhold HOA dues in Texas

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I withhold HOA dues in Texas

When a hurricane hit my area, I had an issue with major damage to the inside of my bedroom window. When the insurance investigated they found that there are several holes in the outside mortar that allowed the outside elements in and caused the damage to the inside window. The issue of the window was told to the HOA, they said they would get the outside and inside fixed. They have done neither. They were contacted 3 times on the matter. So I began with holding payment until it is resolved. Since then I have had to use a funnel and bucket to catch the water that drips inside my condo whenever it rains. I have had extra electric cost because of the cold weather elements let in through the damaged frame.

Asked on March 27, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Texas


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Legally, you cannot do this: while a tenant may withhold rent to cause a landlord to make repairs, you are not a tenant, the dues are not rent, and the HOA is not your landlord. If you withhold your dues, the HOA could take action against you: sue you, or put a lien on your home. 
Your option is to sue *them* if necessary to force them to make repairs and/or for compensation for any losses or costs you incurred.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption