Can I withhold a special assessment fee?

UPDATED: May 19, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 19, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I withhold a special assessment fee?

I belong to a condo association. Since I moved in 8 years ago, I’ve had drainage issues with my crawl space. It affects my bedrooms, which smell of mustiness. The board finally tried to fix the issue last fall. It didn’t work. Now, they are ignoring me by not returning my calls and avoiding me. Recently, we were notified of a special assessment for the roof, which needs to be replaced. May I withhold that payment stating that I will pay once my drainage issue is fixed? If not, how can I get this problem fixed? A home inspector visited but stated it was not his area of expertise.

Asked on May 19, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Wisconsin


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

One needs to read all the paperwork here for the condo but I highly doubt that you can hold the fee.  I would instead start an action against the HOA for their failure to deal with the issue, should it be determined to be an issue that they are responsible for fixing.  You can ask the court to pay your maintenance and any assessments in to court rather than to the HOA which will prompt them to get things fixed since they will be losing money until then.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption