Can I we win?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I we win?

I recently quit my job due to my boss not paying me and making threatening statements. Much false information got put out on the street because of him; I have a class a CDL and now it’s hard to find work because he’s lying about how long I worked for him. So now I’m missing wages. I have proof of all things he’s done.

Asked on September 16, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

IF the "bad mouthing" consists of false factual statements about you--things which be proven to be false--they would be defamation; you could in that case sue for monetary compensation and/or an order barring him from continuing to do this. If they are only opinions, however, or true statements, even if negative, they are not defamation, are legal, and he can make them. Examples:
1) He says you were fired for having an accident in a company vehicle, when you did have an accident and were not fired (you quit): those are false factual statements and would be defamation.
2) He says you quit your job: that is true, so it is not defamation.
3) He says you were difficult to work with: that is his opinion, not a provable (or disprovable) fact, and so is not defamation.
If you think you have a defamation claim, speak with an attorney about what it's worth and, if it's worthwhile, pursuing it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption