Can I void my non disclosure agreement?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I void my non disclosure agreement?

My employer had me sign a non disclosure agreement prior to initiating my work
within the company. Since being within the company, I’ve been given access to my
employers emails to help sort them. He is currently going through court for a
number of reasons including threatening persons. I have a few excel
spreadsheets containing numerous text messages between him and others which
include the threatening texts, texts with a banker bribing him and so on. Not to
mention he pays me irregularly, doesn’t pay my super and i dont think he is
paying my tax either.

Due to the non disclosure I cant legally let this information out from my
understanding which brings me to ask, because these items would be beneficial for
the courts to convict my employer would they declare the contract voided?

Asked on July 16, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Alaska


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, You cannot void your nondisclosure agreement: if you do so, you are in breach of the agreement and can be sued. (While is possible that you could defend yourself under a whistleblower statute, that is not a given; and even if you could, you'd still have to deal with being sued. If he is being prosecuted by the state, or sued (e.g. in civil court) by anyone, let the other side request the documentation formally though the legal system. 
You can, however, sue him for any payment or money he should have made to you but is not--including any tax payments which should be made on your behalf but which he is not making.
Your super can sue him if the employer is failing to pay the super; you cannot sue on the super's behalf.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption