Can I terminate my ex-husband’s parental rights?

UPDATED: Mar 5, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 5, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I terminate my ex-husband’s parental rights?

My ex-husband and I have been divorced about 1 1/2 years. At first he kept up his visitation though he has never helped me out financially. In my paperwork it states he is supposed to see the kids every other weekend and holidays in even years as well as summer. In the 2 years we have been divorced, his visits slowly started to wain. It started off well then it was once a month then maybe once every 2 months and as of now he has not had any contact with my children in almost 7 months. I actually have no idea where he is. Is this grounds for termination of his rights?

Asked on March 5, 2012 under Family Law, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Generally speaking, courts do not like to terminate parental rights unless it is realy in the best interests of the children.  Even though he is a dead beat dad they will not terminate unless he does something really, really bad.  If he is supposed to pay support and does not please do not let that go by the wayside.  The state can help garnish his checks.  They use his social security number to find him.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption