CanI tell clientsthat Ino longer work at a firm, if that firm is lying and saying that I’m still employed there?

UPDATED: Oct 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 7, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

CanI tell clientsthat Ino longer work at a firm, if that firm is lying and saying that I’m still employed there?

I used to be an independent contractor (teacher) at a music store and resigned recently. The store (firm) manager is telling my former students that I still work there and am on “vacation”, so she can keep business in the store. She knows if they knew I was no longer there, they’d stop lessons and look for me. I know all this because a parent called me recently and asked me when I’d be back. Isn’t this tortious interference? Can I clear my name and tell former clients I no longer work at that store?

Asked on October 7, 2011 under Business Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Of course you can tell clients--or anyone--that you do not work there any longer; you are under no obligation to allow or support this lie...or least, unless you signed you some agreement allowing them to represent that you are still there; if you did sign an agreement, it is likely enforceable. You may also tell people the date of when you stopped working there; you may tell then pretty much anything you like, though you are advised to stay to provable facts so as to not give the store any opportunity whatsoever to claim defamation. You also may wish to consult with a personal injury attorney--if the store has profited by your name, damaged your reputation, and/or taken business from you or hurt your business, you may be entitled to some monetary compensation. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption