Can I take my previous employer to small claims court for reimbursment of my health insurance that they never cancelled?

UPDATED: Jun 26, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I take my previous employer to small claims court for reimbursment of my health insurance that they never cancelled?

I asked to cancel it and was told I needed a certificate of coverage to do so. I finaly recieve the certificate a month later and now I am being told I had the last month to change my mind so they will not reimburse me.

Asked on June 26, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, South Dakota


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of this coutnry you have the right to take someone to court to address a grievance like the one you have against your former employer. Whether you prevail at court remains to be seen.

If you can prove at trial that you asked for the cancellation of your insurance policy from your employer and it was not cancelled where you incurred coverage and paid premiums for the policy, possibly you may prevail in small claims court.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption