Can I take my 2 adopted children with me to another household in-state or out-of-state?

UPDATED: Aug 24, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 24, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I take my 2 adopted children with me to another household in-state or out-of-state?

Myself, 2 adopted children, and husband live in TX. I want a divorce and want to move out with my 2 children, with a “male friend”, to help me with rent. Can I do this in TX or move to MS, as I start this divorce process?

Asked on August 24, 2011 Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation.  I might not consider doing what you have written here at the moment and before you have established a custody and visitation agreement with your husband.  You and your husband have the same rights to the children and to raise and see the children.  While the relationship with the male friend may be nothing, it may appear to be "something" and you do not want your husband to infer that your behaviour is a bad influence on the children.  Also, do NOT leave the state.  That could be considered kidnapping.  Seek legal help here.  You need to make sure that you are doing every thing by the book.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption