Can I take action for being discriminated against at work?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I take action for being discriminated against at work?

I have been disrespected at work show racial pictures in the intent to be used as a joke. There have been racial comments made to me be my supervisor.

Asked on October 22, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

First, speak to whomever would be relevant to report discrimination at your company: the HR department; a senior manager; the owner, if this is a small business; etc. The law requires that your report the discrimination or harassment to someone with authority to do something about it; the business must be given a chance to investigate and act.
If they refuse or fail to act to stop the harassment or discrimination, you then contact the federal EEOC (Equal Employment Opportunity Commission) to file a workplace discrimination complaint. 
The behavior you describe does appear to be harassment, so the issue is just that you have to alert the business first before filing your complaint.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption