CanI take a person to court if they who made a sex tape of me 5 years ago without my consent?

UPDATED: Aug 31, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 31, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

CanI take a person to court if they who made a sex tape of me 5 years ago without my consent?

He made the tape of me without me giving him consent. Recently Ihave heard that the tape does exist and has been seen. Ireally just want the tape to be destroyed because I’m tired of being humiliated.

Asked on August 31, 2011 California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Yes you can take a person to court for making a sex tape against you 5 years ago without your consent. The problem I see is that there might be a bar for any damages claims due to your state's statute of limitations for any plead tort. However, you might have a basis that is not time barred to bring an action ofr an injunction to not release the tape to others.

I suggest that you consult with a personal injury attorney as soon as possible about this matter and the best way to try and resolve your matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption