Can I sue the executor of my mother-in-law’s estate if h has failed to make a distribution after 5 years?

UPDATED: Aug 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Aug 5, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue the executor of my mother-in-law’s estate if h has failed to make a distribution after 5 years?

Brother-in-law has not made distribution yet. He is executor. Lots of property not for sale or sold yet. Mismanagement of funds held by 3rd party for executor. Funds from properties that were sold have not been distributed in full. Excuse after excuse.

Asked on August 5, 2011 Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss and for your situation.  Every state has a mechanism for allowing beneficiaries of an estate to check on - for lack of a better word - the progress of the probate and on the personal representative that has been appointed.  You can request that an accounting be done, challenge the personal representative in order to have him removed, etc.  But you will probably need an attorney to help you with all of this.  And the money for the attorney will come put of your pocket while the money to defend your brother-in-law will come put of the estate.  But I would not let this deter you.  I would speak with an attorney about writing a letter on your behalf and what the course of action would be and the fees he or she would charge.  paying for a letter and requesting a court conference maybe is the way to start.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption