Can I sue my employer over safety issues if my store has been robbed on several occasions?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue my employer over safety issues if my store has been robbed on several occasions?

I am working at a national retail chain store and over the past 2 months it has been robbed on multiple occasions and even just recently. One of those times I was the person that the gunman asked for money from. Most of the workers that are working in the area that we work in are scared to even be up there. My employer has done nothing to make us feel secure because even the security refuse to be around that area. I was wondering if there was something i can do about this?

Asked on November 27, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Unfortunately, you only have recourse in this situation if you have rights under a union agreement or employment contract. Otherwise, as an "at will" employee, your company can set the conditions of the workplace much as it sees fit. This includes whether ot increase security at your store. For your part, you can either continue to complain about this condition and risk termination or quit. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption