Can I sue a property managemer for back rent and cleanup costs regarding adelayed eviction proceeding?

UPDATED: Mar 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue a property managemer for back rent and cleanup costs regarding adelayed eviction proceeding?

I had my property leased through a property manager. They allowed the tenant to stay in the property for 6 months with out rent. The tenant also trashed the property. Clean up cost $1600. Can I sue the property manager for back rent and cleanup cost since they delayed in eviction proceedings?

Asked on March 10, 2012 under Real Estate Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written, it seems as though your agent property manager did a poor job representing your interests concerning your rental and as a result, you would have a legal and factual basis for bringing a legal action. Before you do so, I suggest that you read your property management agreement in that its terms and conditions control the obligations owed to you and vice versa to your agent.

I suggest that you consult with a landlord tenant attorney to further guide you concerning the potential action you have against your property manager and the best way to resolve.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption