Can I sue the hospital or police dept. or both?

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 6, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue the hospital or police dept. or both?

After being arrested for a misdemeanor, I was taken to the hospital; I refused treatment. I was then held down by four officers and forced to have a catheder shoved in me before they took me to jail. I have never felt so violated or embarrased in my life. Do they have a right to do this?

Asked on July 6, 2009 under Malpractice Law, Florida


B. B., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

It's possible that the facts could justify what was done to you, but I'd think they would have to be fairly extreme facts.  You haven't supplied any of the details, quite understandably, but they will be very important if you decide to pursue this.  I certainly think that you should have a local attorney review your case, because it's possible your civil rights have been violated here.

It's relatively rare that civil rights suits against police officers actually succeed, although a fair number get filed every year.  But conduct that "shocks the judicial conscience" is usually enough, and this might be one of those cases.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption