Can i sue the dealership for ruining my car?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can i sue the dealership for ruining my car?

In January i brought my 2015 Jeep to the Dealership because it
was making a horrible noise.

They ended up fixing something else and when i got the car back
the noise was still there.

New Link Destination
ok car back in a few more times and still nothing. They could
not find out what was making the noise. When i got my car back
the 3rd time. It started smelling like it was burning. I called
the dealership on the way home and they said it might be some
residue from the changing the fluids and it should burn off.

Well turns out i kept driving and the smell got really bad.
I pulled over and they had left my engine cap off. My car had
oil all over everything under the hood. I was so upset and
called dealership at took it in the next day.

Well, i have been back 5 times for them to clean my car and it
still smells. They ruined my car. Any advise will help.

Asked on May 6, 2019 under Accident Law, Illinois


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You can sue the dealership for negligence , which is the failure to exercise due care (that degree of care that a reasonable auto dealership would have exercised under the same or similar circumstances to prevent foreseeable harm).
Your damages (monetary compensation you are seeking in your lawsuit) would be the cost of repairs to your car.
The amount of your damages will determine whether you can file your lawsuit in small claims court.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption