Can I sue the dealership who said that they repaired my car but never did and let me drive it when it was unsafe and not road ready?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue the dealership who said that they repaired my car but never did and let me drive it when it was unsafe and not road ready?

My son was in an accident and the dealership stated they fixed the damages. However, when he got the car back and drove it, he said it was not driving right. He took it back up there and the dealership told him that it was normal wear and tear on the car not related to the accident. Uncomfortable with that answer, he took it to another mechanic only to find out the real damages were not fixed, there was only cosmetic repair, so the frame was still bent. Also, they used junk yard parts when they told both us and the insurance company that it was all new parts. The second mechanic stated that my son was driving a death trap, so the insurance company was called. They came out, looked at the damages, and then totaled out the car completely. Can he sue the dealership for negligence?

Asked on January 26, 2019 under Accident Law, Georgia


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The problem with suing the dealership for negligence is that your son was not injured as a result of the repairs. Therefore, damages without an injury and documentation of medical treatment would be speculative. Damages (monetary compensation) must be certain.
However, the dealership can be sued for fraud for not making the repairs and using junk parts instead of new parts as it falsely claimed.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption