Can I suemy company for violation of privacy?

UPDATED: Oct 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I suemy company for violation of privacy?

I told my boss a personal issue in private and it was told to her that none of my fellow co-workers knew my situation. Minutes later she blurted out bits and pieces of what we discussed in private in front of 2 fellow co-workers.

Asked on October 14, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Almost certainly not, unfortunately. If there was an actual confidentiality of non-disclosure agreement of some kind between you and your boss personally, or you and your company, you could likely enforce it; but an enforceable agreement requires, among other things, what's known as "consideration"--or something for something. That is, you would have had to give up something or give your boss something (an agreement to not sue over some wrong, for example) in order to bind her to the promise and turn it into an enforceable agreement. But a mere promise without consideration is not enforceable; people make promises all the time, every day, which courts cannot and will not enforce.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption