Can I sue the MVD for a 15 year old DUI just that has restricted my license?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue the MVD for a 15 year old DUI just that has restricted my license?

I received a DUI in AZ in 2003, unbeknownst to me, AZ suspended my driving privileges. I am a TX resident with a TX drivers license and cannot get it renewed because of the hold that AZ MVD has on it. They want me to complete an alcohol/drug assessment and install a interlock device in my car for one year before they will release the hold. I live in TX and I have zero intentions to ever drive in the state of AZ ever again. Is there a way to sue the AZ MVD for this far reaching policy.

Asked on April 13, 2018 under Criminal Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Under the fair faith and credit laws, one state will honor another state's suspension.  Even though you may have no intentions of returning to AZ, Texas will continue to enforce the suspension as long as it is in effect.  As such, your only remedy is appeal the suspension in AZ.  You will need an AZ attorney (or Texas attorney who is licensed in AZ) to assist you with this appeal.  You can try to hire a TX attorney, but unless they are actually licensed in AZ, they won't be able to accomplish much more than you with a few phone calls.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption