Can I sue the manufacturer of my IUD if I still got pregnant?

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 29, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue the manufacturer of my IUD if I still got pregnant?

I had it for the last 2 years. Recently I had got pregnant. Also, the IUD was embedded into my cervix. I had to get an abortion because I was too sick with the pregnancy where I couldn’t even work. Additionally, during the pregnancy the IUD gave me problems where I was having severe cramping. The only way it could be removed was when I got the abortion. Can I do anything?

Asked on July 30, 2015 under Malpractice Law, Georgia


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Similar to a wrongful death suit, many people have tried to sue for wrongful births.  These types of suits against the makers of birth control devices have not had the best success.  However, your case is a bit more than just an unexpected birth, it appears you had additional complications specifically related to the IUD.  This would actually be more attune to a products liability suit.  You can suit for the defects in the product.  Consult with a personal injury who specializes in product liability suits.  A general personal injury attorney who handles car wreck cases will not be sufficient for your case.  There are already some IUD lawsuits pendings... simply do a search for "IUD lawsuits".  You don't have to go with any of these firms, but reading the information regarding these lawsuits will give you a better idea of what options are available for your situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption