Can I sue or do they owe me money for time wasted?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue or do they owe me money for time wasted?

I was hired by a company. They haven’t put me to work to earn income. They keep telling me I’m still employed but work is slow. It’s 2 months later and still no work. Every week twice a week they tell me I’m still an employee. All of a sudden I was let go and no one told me. I was waiting to go work for a company I was

Asked on September 13, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

No, you can't sue or get compensation for "time wasted." Employment in this nation is "employment at will," unless and only to the extent that you have a written employment contract to  the contrary. When you don't have a written contract guarantying days/hours/shifts/etc. worked, or guarantying your weekly earnings, you employer is legally allowed to schedule you for as much or as little time as they want; since they may legally schedule you for few, or even no, hours, they are not liable for doing this, and you can't sue them for not scheduling you. As for "wasting your time"--employmment at will also means that *you* can take a second job, quit and look for other employment, etc. at any time, if you are disastisfied with your job, including with how much you are working. Therefore, the employer did not (legally speaking) "waste" your time--you chose to wait and see if they would schedule you, rather than seeking other employment.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption