Can I sue my work company?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue my work company?

I work for radioshack as a manager.
I’ve been with them for about 10 years.
Over the years I’ve taken pay cuts.
Recently they merged with sprint. Some
locations have sprint employees and
radioshack employees, within the same
building. My location is radioshack
employees who also sale sprint. But we
get payed only commission on sprints
sales. But they expect us to handle
time consuming transactions, without
any payment besides radioshacks. I’m
basically managing 2 companies under
one roof while getting payed only from
1. Is there anything I can do to fight
for wages. I lost my December bonus for
going over my hours, but given the
circumstances, it was impossible not

Asked on January 23, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, there is nothing you can do, unless this violates a written contract (e.g. an employment contract or commission agreement) of some kind; if it does, you can bring a lawsuit to enforce the contract. However, in the absence of a contract, the employer is free to pay you whatever the employer wants: it can cut your wage, eliminate a bonus, make you do more work without paying you more, or only commission you on some, not all, of your products or product lines or sales. All of this comes from the fact that employment in this country is "employment at will"--its terms and compensation are under the employer's sole control in the absence of a contract to the contrary.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption