Can I sue my sister-in-law for a down payment towards another car ifI lost my vehicle because of her negligence?

UPDATED: Feb 20, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 20, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue my sister-in-law for a down payment towards another car ifI lost my vehicle because of her negligence?

My sister-in-law wrecked my car and had it towed (without my permission) to a place that charged daily and didn’t get it out. Thus the car was auctioned off. She agreed to give me something to help me get another vehicle but didn’t. Can I sue her for a down payment towards another car?

Asked on February 20, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Alabama


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If your sister in law wrecked your vehicle resulting in a series of events where you ended up losing the car due to her negligence, from what you have written she would be responsible for the fair market value of the car at the time of the accident.

I would make a demand for her to make good on the value of the car and if not, then your recourse would be a civil action against her. The down payment of the desired new car would not be the proper measure of your damages.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption