Can I sue my roommate to get her share of the bills plus money that thatI loaned to her?

UPDATED: Aug 28, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue my roommate to get her share of the bills plus money that thatI loaned to her?

My roommate has a bad drug problem that she has been lying about and of which I was unaware. She has lost her job and has not paid any of her part of the household bills. She and I are both on the lease, but she has moved her boyfriend/dealer into the house also. I don’t want to be in any trouble for their druguse. How can I get them out of this house and what can I do to get my money back (I also loaned get $2,000)?

Asked on August 28, 2011 Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You could inform the landlord about the roommate and boyfriend's drug use and they will be evicted. 

You can sue the roommate for the loan plus interest.  You can also include her share of the household bills.  You can file your lawsuit in Small Claims Court.  Your damages (the amount you are seeking to recover in your lawsuit) would include the amount you are owed plus court costs.  Court costs include the court filing fee and process server fee.

If you obtain a court judgment against your roommate, it may be difficult to enforce the judgment and receive payment from her since she is unemployed, is on drugs and is a renter with probably little if any assets.  If she gets another job, you can obtain a wage garnishment to enforce the court judgment against her.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption