Can I sue my property management company for damages to my house?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue my property management company for damages to my house?

I have had a property with a company for 5 years. During this time they lead on to say the property was in good condition, etc. My property manager suddenly passed and our renters skipped without notice. My property managers secretary has lied about a number of items. Never disclosed that the tenants only paid half the month of last month’s rent. We have broken doors, ripped screens, a patio cover that has been damaged from a fire or water and carpet that needs to be replaced. The tenants had a dog and I had about a inch layer of dirt on the air conditioning filter. The landscape had not been taken care of etc. They do not have a walk-through sheet from the tenants and will not let me see much of the

file about the house. What should I do next. I fought to get back the deposit which they tried to keep for the missing rent for the month because they paid us for last month. My property manager mad a deal with the tenants without my telling me about it. The secretary then stated to me that they had a feeling they were going to leave. She also tried to charge me $300 for a cleaning fee when the property was not cleaned. I have a bunch of pictures to prove my side of the case. I don’t know where to go from here. We are military and move a lot. We are having to travel on the weekends 10 hours with 3 kids to fix the place up again. I am running out of money and time.

Asked on June 19, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Alabama


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Yes, if they did any of the following--and seems like they arguably did most, if not all--
1) Breached their agreement or contract with you, by not fulfilling their explicit obligations (like to ensure collection of rent; to maintain the property--I don't know for certain that these were part of your agreement/contract with them, but they commonly are part of property management contracts);
2) Did not deal with you in good faith, which can also be a breach of contract (violation of what is commonly known as the "implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing," or the obligation added by law to contracts that the parties to contracts do not take steps designed to thwart the purposes of the agreement);
3) Lied to you about what they could or would do, which may be fraud; and/or
4) Damaged your property or cost you money through their negligence, or unreasonable, unprofessional carelessness
--then you should have grounds for a lawsuit for your costs and losses. If you own the home in your own name, you could sue as your own attorney  or "pro se" if you chose to save legal fees (though having a lawyer is still recommended); if the property is owned by an LLC or corporation, you must have an attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption