Can I sue my private college for failure to assist me in getting my license?

UPDATED: Jul 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue my private college for failure to assist me in getting my license?

I went to a private school for pharmacy tech. I graduated and have gotten my certificate. The school was supposed to send a pharmacy tech license application to the state, but they keep messing up on it; the State is not accepting it. It’s now time for me to pay back student loans but I do not have a job in what I went to this school for.

Asked on July 18, 2011 under Business Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You say that the school was "supposed to send a pharmecy tech license application to the state." The question is, was this something they were contractually obligated to do?  That is, was it in your application or the contract you signed with school? Or was it prominently stated, without some limitation or disclaimer they could hide behind, on their website or marketing materials before you applied for admittance (so that it could be taken to be part of what induced you to go to this school, or caused you to enter into an agreement with them)? If the answer to one or more of these questions is "yes," then it may be the case that you have a legal claim against the school for breach of contract and may be able  to seek your foreseeable losses flowing out of their breach. If you think this may be the case, you should consult with an attorney to explore your case. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption