Can I sue my mortgage for foreclosure fraud if they can’t produce the original mortgage note that was signed in ink?

UPDATED: May 21, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 21, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue my mortgage for foreclosure fraud if they can’t produce the original mortgage note that was signed in ink?

If so, is it possible to have the house awarded to me all debt cleared? If not, what would award me the house?

Asked on May 21, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Virginia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Unfortuantely for you it is not so simple.  Having the original note is very important as you know, especially in foreclosure actions becuase the person who holds the original is the only person that has the right to foreclose.  If they do not have it then it s a defense for the homeowner to the foreclosure action.  But the lendler may be able to overcome the issue depending on your state's Uniform Commercial Code which governs commercial transactions.  Please seek help here.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption