Can I sue my mortgage company for damages or file an injunction for misreporting payments and ruining my credit?

UPDATED: May 31, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue my mortgage company for damages or file an injunction for misreporting payments and ruining my credit?

The bank that held my original mortgage when into receivership 2 years ago. The company that picked up the mortgage started sending letter that we had missed 5 months payment. I sent them proof of electronic payment from my bank for the months in question. This is still unresolved today and they have been assessing me late fees and ruined my credit. What recourse do I have to be made whole and restore my credit?

Asked on May 31, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, Maryland


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written, it appears that you have a factual and legal basis for bring a lawsuit against the lender of your home for damaging your credit by reporting that you have not made your payments on the mortgage where you have. The problem from a legal perspective in such a matter is proving your damages in that a damaged credit rating is typically hard to establish where expert testimony is needed.

I suggest that you consult with an attorney who practices in the area of consumer law regarding your matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption