Can I sue my landlord if they failed to make repairs and I was injured as a result?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue my landlord if they failed to make repairs and I was injured as a result?

I have asked on many occasions would she fix the holes in the floor. She has told me no, that she would only fix it if she could up my rent. We do not have a lease. Then, a couple of days ago, I fell completely

through the house and have sprang my ankle. I will be out of work and she still will not fix it.

Asked on October 24, 2017 under Personal Injury, Louisiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You can likely sue your landlord. All rentals come with what is known as the "implied warranty of habitability": this is the obligation, imposed by law, on landlords to provide rentals that are safe and fit for their intended purpose. This obligation includes having to fix known dangerous conditions, such as ones that a tenant has made the landlord aware of. The landlord's refusal to fix a dangerous condition which you provided notice of--and whose repair you requested--can make the landlord liable for any injuries you suffer due to her negligence (or unreasonable carelesness) in failing to make the repair.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption