Can I sue my husband for the bills he left me with when he walked out?

UPDATED: Oct 21, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 21, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue my husband for the bills he left me with when he walked out?

Neither of us a filed for separation. I don’t want to file because I want to work it out, but I still need help with the bills.

Asked on October 21, 2010 under Family Law, Maryland


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You do not need to file for legal separation in most states to get the benefit of separation (i.e., your income earned during the time separated is considered separate income and not marital income and your debt incurred is considered separate debt and not joint or marital debt).  During your divorce proceedings you can certainly seek contribution or an accounting to offset those costs you paid for yourself.  If you do not wish to file for divorce, then perhaps you just need to eat the cost but if you don't wish to file for separation, you need to consider what filing a lawsuit could to your relationship in the long run.  You might wish to consult with a divorce attorney before making your next step. It might at least help you realize what your particular rights are in your state.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption