Can I sue my former employer for attempting to get me fired from my current job?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue my former employer for attempting to get me fired from my current job?

Someone sent an anonymous letter to my current employer, which stated that one of my colleagues and I are dating. I suspect this was done by my former employer. Can I sue him?

Asked on December 13, 2016 under Employment Labor Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If it is true--no. True facts, no matter how inconvenient for you, are not defamation or anything else you can sue over. Any person may disclose any true facts they know.
If it is false--only if you can prove it is him. A suspicion is not enough:  you need proof by a "preponderance of the evidence" (evidence that your position or claim is more likely than not true) to successfully sue. If you sue without proof, you could be countersued for frivolous, or baseless, litigation--and will lose you case, anywayt.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption