Can I sue my ex-spouse for forging my signature on loans and fraudulantly causing debt in my name?

UPDATED: May 31, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue my ex-spouse for forging my signature on loans and fraudulantly causing debt in my name?

I am recently divorced. We separated and I moved out of state and then filed for divorce. I wanted to know if I can get any kind of financial relief because the ex forged my signature on several car loans and credit card apps without my knowledge or consent? She then did not pay these debts and so they fell on me. My credit has always been immaculate. I had to file bankruptcy as a result of these fraudulant loans. She also stole $14,000 from my bank account that she had no access to. She created an online account to this bank in my name and withdrew this money. The sheriff’s department said that I can’t press forgery charges because she was my spouse. I want to know if I can sue her for the large amounts of money she fraudulant took from me by the forgeries and withdrawing money from a bank account that she did not have access to. There are other isses that she caused; the abve are just examples.

Asked on May 31, 2012 under Family Law, Illinois


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written with respect to your former spouse, you would have a factual and legal basis for bringing a legal action against her for forging your signature on the loans that you have written about and the monies that she took out where you are seemingly responsible under the loans.

I suggest that you consult with a real estate attorney that does business litigation concerning the matter you have written about if you wish to pursue it further.

You might also want to consult with law enforcement about the forgery as well as to your signatures.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption