Can I sue my employer for forcing me to engage in discriminatory practices?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue my employer for forcing me to engage in discriminatory practices?

I am in HR, and my employer puts me in terrible, unethical situations. Not hiring a perfectly qualified candidate or offering them a significantly lower salary because they are ‘too ghetto’, telling me they don’t want male admins, saying they want more males instead of young females since they can’t get pregnant, stating they pay women less because of the potential of maternity leave, and MUCH more. I either carry out the dirty work for them, or I don’t have a job.

Asked on October 16, 2018 under Employment Labor Law, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

No, you cannot sue for this. A lawsuit is intended to provide compensation for losses or provable, harm the person suing has suffered. However, you have not yourself suffered losses or harm due to this; therefore, you would not have grounds for a lawsuit. You can report this to the EEOC, if you believe, as you evidently do, that something should be done.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption