Can I sue my company for stress

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue my company for stress

I was just diagnosed with severe stress and
taken off work for two weeks. Work coursed a
lot of this due to fear of job loss and increased
pressure to meet goals with little support.

Asked on June 20, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Iowa


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, there is no lawsuit for stress, because employment is allowed to be stressful--it can be the most gut-churning, nerve-fraying, stomach-knotting, hair-pulling experience of your life, and that is perfectly legal. It is consequence of or corollary to "employment at will," which is the law of the land: there is no right to employment, and so an employer does not need to make it palatable or acceptable. Rather, if an employee does not like a job, he or she is free to seek other employment--that is his or her recourse. Because the employer has no obligation or duty to minimize stress, you cannot sue them for failing to do so.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption