Can I sue my cell phone company for chargesregarding a service thatI didn’t approve?

UPDATED: Jun 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 7, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue my cell phone company for chargesregarding a service thatI didn’t approve?

About 8 months ago thefree internet on my cell phone was up. I called and cancelled the internet offer so I wouldn’t be charged after it was up. Today I went on-line to check for any new offers due to a merger. I found out that they did not take the internet service off and I have been charged since then for this service. And not only on my on line, but all 3 lines on my account, 2 of which don’t even have internet compatibility. They are now saying that nothing can be done; the charges will remain. I feel as though they are robbing me.

Asked on June 7, 2011 under General Practice, Georgia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The issue is whether you cancelled the service properly--that is, 1) whether you had the right to cancel then, based on your service agreement, etc.; 2) whether if you had the right, you provided the correct amount of notice and/or cancelled at the right time; and 3) whether you cancelled in the right way (e.g. did you need to provide written cancellation notice)?

Basically, if you cancelled properly, per the terms, that cancellation must be honored, and you could, if necessary, sue (including in small claims court) for your money back.

On the other hand, if under the terms of service you could not cancel them, or you tried to cancel in the wrong way, the provider does not need to let you cancel and may hold you to the agreement. You need to review the terms for cancelling and how you cancelled.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption