Can I sue a hospital for allowing a nurse to access my medical file, alter it, and use it in court?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue a hospital for allowing a nurse to access my medical file, alter it, and use it in court?

It has already admitted in writing that they are sorry for letting my records be compromised. A nurse who works with them went into my medical record file alter them by claiming I attended some

appointment and confessed terrible things causing me to lose visitation with my 3 daughters and the

nurse being able to get a restraining order based only on the false appointment. Due to that false

document its caused me to be arrested numerous time just to have the drop or dismiss the cases. The hospital sent me a letter admitting fault after I filed a complaint and apologized to me for the false

document and told me it has been removed from my files. Yet, the nurse just used the false

appointment to obtain a renewal of the restraining order. Can the hospital be held responsible?

Asked on November 6, 2017 under Malpractice Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, the hosptial is not liable. An employer is liable for what its employees do within the scope of their employment: for acts flowing out of what they are hired to do. But what this nurse did was criminal, and certainly far beyond the scope of employment: it is not a nurse's job to falsify records, defame people, and help people commit fraud in court. Because this was criminal and outside the scope of employment, the hospital is not liable. The nurse wojld be liable, however: you could certainly sue her.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption