Can i sue in maryland for a hipaa violation?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can i sue in maryland for a hipaa violation?

A nurse practitioner sent out an
email to all her clients and cc’d
every one. She was telling us she
was resigning and what the company
did. Every one could see first and
last name as well as email
addresses of her patients.

Asked on September 18, 2019 under Malpractice Law, Maryland


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

There's no point in suing unless you can prove some significant harm you suffered from this. Lawsuits are not about punishing people for infractions: they are about compensating people for injuries to businesses, reputations, finances, property, or their persons, as well as for costs incurred. The compensation you are entitled to is related to the provable injury, loss, cost, etc. If you can't prove some significant harm or costs, you won't get any appreciable (or sometimes any at all) compensation, making a lawsuit a waste of your time and money.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption