Can I sue an individual due their filing false charges in a police report that may now be affecting new employment?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue an individual due their filing false charges in a police report that may now be affecting new employment?

My ex-husband’s wife filed false multiple charges in a police report. I had to hire an attorney as a result, costing me $4000. My ex-husband was present and knew the falsehood of the claims. I am afraid that these charges are affecting my ability to gain employment should I have a background check. The case was a

Asked on May 5, 2017 under Personal Injury, Virginia


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Filing a false police report is a crime, so you could potentially look to file your own charges against her for doing this and also sue her for doing this. You could also potentially sue for defamation: for making an untrue factual assertion about you which damaged your reputation. You may have a viable case: it would be worthwhile for you to consult in detail with an attorney to see how strong the case is and what it might be worth (and what it would cost to pursue it).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption