Wen can you sue regarding constructive termination?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Wen can you sue regarding constructive termination?

I was 64 years old last year and feel I was forced to resign from my high paying position. The company hired a backup for me, who was much younger, and I was teaching her my complete job. I was feeling very insecure because of conversations, etc. I had been there for over 9 years without any trouble. I quit and took a lower paying position with another company. Now the backup who took my job, quit and contacted me to let me know that she had been told to learn everything quickly because they had intended to fire me as soon as she was trained. That was the feeling I had, that I was on the short list. Do I have a case for constructive termination? They made my life miserable before I left. I have doctor’s appointments to back up the extreme stress they had me under.

Asked on September 20, 2019 under Employment Labor Law, Wisconsin


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

No, you do not have a case for constructive termination: they did not actually change your job, according to what you wrote--they didn't demote you, didn't drastically cut your pay, etc. You voluntarily left because you felt insecure: your own insecurity is not the employer's responsibility and is not grounds for constructive termination.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption