Can I sue for alienation of affection?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Can I sue for alienation of affection?

My husband travelled around the country but a woman from UT reached out to me saying that my husband got her pregnant and they have been together for a few months. Can I sue her because she lives even though my husband resides

in SC?

Asked on July 30, 2018 under Family Law, South Carolina


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

SC does not allow "alientation of affection" lawsuits; Utah does. But to sue for for a cause of action recognized by Utah by not SC, you'd have to sue her in Utah--which can be expensive and difficult. Also, your husband would have to abadon you, leave you, you and he would have to separate or divorce, etc.--an affair by itself is not alienation of affection. Rather, it is the loss or destructon of the marriage which is.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption